Business Intelligence Server Enterprise Edition – Version: 184.108.40.206.0  and later [Release: 11g and later ]
Information in this document applies to any platform.
The 10g repository fails to upgrade when running the Upgrade Assistant Utility because the BI Server will not restart.
The OBIEE 10g Repository was configured for a cluster aware cache
10g NQSConfig.INI file (partial)
[ CACHE ]
ENABLE = YES;
// A comma separated list of <directory maxSize> pair(s)
// e.g. DATA_STORAGE_PATHS = “d:\OracleBIData\nQSCache” 500 MB;
DATA_STORAGE_PATHS = “E:\OracleBIData\cache” 500 MB;
MAX_ROWS_PER_CACHE_ENTRY = 100000; // 0 is unlimited size
MAX_CACHE_ENTRY_SIZE = 1 MB;
MAX_CACHE_ENTRIES = 1000;
POPULATE_AGGREGATE_ROLLUP_HITS = NO;
USE_ADVANCED_HIT_DETECTION = NO;
MAX_SUBEXPR_SEARCH_DEPTH = 7;
// Cluster-aware cache
GLOBAL_CACHE_STORAGE_PATH = “\\01AL10015011002\Global_BI_Cache” 1000 MB;
MAX_GLOBAL_CACHE_ENTRIES = 1000;
CACHE_POLL_SECONDS = 30;
CLUSTER_AWARE_CACHE_LOGGING = YES;
However, OBIEE 11g was not configured for a cluster aware cache prior to the upgrade assistant running
11g NQSConfig.INI file (partial)
GLOBAL_CACHE_STORAGE_PATH = “” 0 MB;
REPOSITORY_PUBLISHING_DIRECTORY = “\\nullserver”;
[2011-01-06T20:20:18.000+00:00] [OracleBIServerComponent] [WARNING:1]   [ecid: ] [tid: 814] Warning: Clustering and cache are enabled for this OBIS node, but cluster aware cache is disabled. This can lead to inconsistencies.
- Workaround: This is a temporary workaround to allow the repository (rpd) to be upgraded.Disable the repository cache in FMw Enterprise Manager Control prior to running the upgrade assistant.
- Solution: The upgrade assistant does not update or configure the OBIEE 11g NQSConfig.INI file. It must be updated manually before proceeding with the upgrade. Correct, the root cause which is to configure and enable the cluster aware cache in 11g to match the configuration in 10g prior to running the upgrade assistant.
Note: If your issue does not match this exactly then check the following:
- The upgrade assistant log is located at [middleware_home/[oracle_home]/upgrade/logs
- If any components fail to start after the upgrade assistant completes, refer to the specific component logs (i.e. nqserver.log, saw0.log)
- It may also be helpful to check the webcatupgrade.log and the upgradelog.xml to find items that failed.