Category Archives: Bugs and Issues

AGO bug on OBIEE 10.3.1.2 – very annoying

There’s a bug in OBIEE 10.3.1.2 that renders time-series OBIEE function AGO useless if you’re using Filter on Logical Table Source (Content – WHERE). Apparently, the query generating AGO doesn’t pick it up and as a result – you will not see correct report. It might affect you in many ways if you’re using the LTS filters. The fix that Oracle suggested was to upgrade to 10.3.1.4, however, it’s not possible at the moment. We’ve created database views applying necessary filters there. Performance-wise we got a hit, but our business intelligence server is showing correct data.

Using aggregate tables produce incorrect Year-to-date at the lowest levels.

Applies to:
Business Intelligence Server Enterprise Edition – Version: 7.9.5 [AA 1900] – Release: V7
Information in this document applies to any platform.
Symptoms
The user is modelling Time Series functionality (Todate) with aggregated dimensions and aggregated facts using BI Server 10.1.3.3.2.

You have created aggregate tables. You have both Logical Dimension and Fact tables mapped to the Aggregate tables.
In Answers you have built a report using the Dimension Hierarchy, which has the measures Sales and Sales YTD. When you drilldown in the report, the measures show the correct figures, until you get to the lowest level where the Sales YTD results are incorrect.
Cause

The cause of this incorrect aggregation when you drilldown to the lowest level of the hierarchy has been determined to be an incorrect sql being generated. The incorrect sql generated lacks the
SUM..GROUP BY

The main difference is that when you are at the lowest level of the aggregate table it doesn’t use “SUM..GROUP BY” in it’s core query.

The issue has been determined to be a Bug, as per Engineering who reviewed the issue.

Solution

However a workaround was provided for this specific customer scenario that resolved the issue. With the implementation below which engineering tested and verified the SUM and Group by was generated in the sql when drilling into the lowest level of the hierarchy.


I created a dimension that I just created in the business model and added the additional dimension to the content filter for the problem fact source. That resulted in SQL generation with a SUM clause. My workaround was used just for the problem query submitted. I did not even join the new dimension to the fact table.

So I would recommend creating a virtual dimension in the physical and business model layers. It should not be exposed in the presentation catalog.

OBIEE version control

Mark Rittman has written a very thorough useful guide on using Subversion for version control in OBIEE. [ad#ad-1] I think this sort of strategy would be very appropriate for a large-scale project with many OBIEE developers. I’m personally using regular abundant backups of my project files, however, it might not be intuitive to someone else. I wonder how much effort does it take to maintain version notes?

MULTISELECT PROMPT AND PRESENTATION VARIABLE CAUSES ‘NO CHOICES AVAILABLE’

Another good one.

Symptoms

You are on OBI 10.1.3.3.3 and have configured a Dashboard Prompt with a couple of columns where the value selected by the user in the first prompt column gets stored in a presentation variable, and the values in the second prompt column depends on
the value in this presentation variable.

When both column prompts are defined as ‘Drop down’ type. The prompts work
fine. The second column correctly displays in the dropdown the values.

However when the second column prompt control is defined as ‘multi select’.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOR
———————–
No data is displayed in the prompt. The prompt displays ‘No Choices available’.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR
———————–
The multiselect prompt column should correctly display values in the prompt as it does when it is defined as a dropdown.

Cause

Statement describing the cause of the problem
This issue has been determined to be a bug, which is now reported in Change Request Bug No: 7571682 (MULTISELECT PROMPT AND PRESENTATION VARIABLE CAUSES ‘NO CHOICES AVAILABLE’).
The proof that this is the cause of the problem
This issue is caused by Bug No: 7571682 (MULTISELECT PROMPT AND PRESENTATION VARIABLE CAUSES ‘NO CHOICES AVAILABLE’) as per our inhouse testcase which replicated the same behavior your system exhibits.

Solution

This issue has been determined to be a bug, which is now reported in Change Request Bug No: 7571682 (MULTISELECT PROMPT AND PRESENTATION VARIABLE CAUSES ‘NO CHOICES AVAILABLE’).

As possible workarounds we have found that, on the Dashboard, when you click the ellipsis and invoke the multiselect popup and you get the message “No Choices Available.”,

1. Click the ‘Go’ button will bring back data

2. Alternatively you can enter a value in the match box and it returns data

3. Also you can consider using the vanilla constrain option for the dashboard prompts, so you can have column 2 constrained by column 1.

Please consider the above as possible workarounds.