Might be useful for someone who’s stuck trying to figure out how to mimic an existing report.
To generate Line Bar Combo chart with stack:
-Go to BI Answers and set the columns needed on criteria tab and go to results
-Click on Add view >chart view
-Use line bar combo chart type, select two columns for Y Axis and one metric for line. Select chart type as 2D stacked.
-To have the stack effect, on criteria tab, use the same measure columns few times separately with separate filter (Edit Formula>Insert filter >then select filter from saved filter). For example select two amount sold columns with two filters, one for country=country1, and the other country=country2 like
FILTER(“Sales Facts”.”Amount Sold” USING (Customers.Country = ‘Canada’))
FILTER(“Sales Facts”.”Amount Sold” USING (Customers.Country = ‘Brazil’))
-Select both the filtered measured amount sold columns for Y-Axis.
-Select the column for overlay column for which line graph is needed. “
This tutorial applies to:Business Intelligence Server Enterprise Edition – Version: 10.1.3.4.0  – Release: 10g
The question was rather frequent – “How to create a table view with two levels of headers?”
i.e. the high-level heading as the table title heading and then another level of heading where there is one sub-heading/title for one set of columns and a different sub-heading for another set of columns
The high-level heading can be created by adding a title view for this.
And then for 2nd level of sub-heading that should be different for one set of columns and another sub-heading for another set of columns, you can achieve this by displaying the table headings as well in addition to the column headings and then set the custom table heading appropriately for the respective set of columns that require the same heading.
To do this, you need to follow a 2-step approach
1) go to the table view and edit the table view properties. Set the ‘display column & table headings’ property to ‘as separate rows’ instead of ‘only column headings’.
2) Then go to each column and set the custom table heading. Set the same table heading for all the columns that require the same heading.
1. Just like everyone else, I got excited about Content Accelerator Framework. Christian Berg posted about it here “OTN: CAF” and Venkat posted about it on his blog as well content accelerator framework. Unfortunately, it’s only going to work with version 10.1.3.4.1 which hasn’t been released yet. It’s a good step forward though, as the developer community has waited for such a tool for quite some time now. I’ve seen numerous service requests on Metalink asking Oracle about such functionality.
The most interesting thing about this sitation is that I was going to post about various issues of maintaining several OBIEE environments on the same day. And on the same day, I got the same assignment – to figure out a better and newer way to parallely run development, issue maintenance fixes (such as adding new users), and keep environments in sync.
2. OBIEE OTN forum has become a very competetive place – frequently questions are answered within minutes. mma1709 (please let me know if that’s ok to state your name), Christian Berg and Naresh Meda have gained Pro Status. Congratulations! Please keep up the good work!
3. OBIEE Job market. Judging from Dice – it’s down. I’ve been tracking Dice’s posts using OBIEE keyword for a few months now. It’s been declining steadly for past few months (not a big surprise really, since the total job postings fell from 90+k to 48k). For OBIEE the number went from 300 in fall 2008 to 186 today. Some of the postings are clearly for the same positions (through different vendors). Again, I’m sure that there’s always a project for someone with relevant OBIEE experience and skills, however, I’m sure that it hurts less experienced folks as companies are trying to reduce staff. Also, the situation is decreasing rates as desperation forces some people and companies to work for less. Stability is more important than a higher paycheck these days, so some companies use it as an excuse to lower salary / rate. Moreover, hurting financial sector makes it difficult to start new capital IT projects. I’m unwilling to predict the future at this time, however, I’d like to say that – if you have the right skills and personality – do not be afraid – this time might be an opportunity.
How can we get the Prompt values to be displayed when the report is exported in MS Office formats or printed in PDF using the ‘Download’ or ‘Print’ report links?
When you use the ‘Printer Friendly’ option on the Dashboard, all objects on the Dashboard get downloaded for printing including the Dashboard Prompt section.
However using the report ‘Download’ or ‘Print’ link, this does not print the Dashboard Prompt section.
Please note this is expected behavior. Using the Printer Friendly icon at the lower lefthand corner, it prints the entire dashboard. Alternatively the ‘Download’ or ‘Print’ link option is available, for the report. So this will print the Compound layout view of the report, or any specific report sections that have been made available on the Dashboard.
A workaround to have the Dashboard Prompt values displayed when you use the Report ‘Download’ or ‘Print’ link is by having the filter view as part of the report.
Oracle has now raised the Enhancement Request# 8242921 to address this matter. The enhancement request is to enhance the product so that so there is also an option to download to the various formats at the dashboard page level. Similar to the Dashboard Page ‘printer friendly’ functionality.
Customer want to take away from all users ‘My Dashboard’. They want that the users only have the choice between the ‘common Dashboards’.
But the users (the report creators) need My Folders.
So Manage Privileges – Catalog – Personal Storage (My Folders and My Dashboard) does not fit exactly.
Customer has created default shared dashboards that they want the users to see/read by default, but they want to restrict user access to the Shared Dashboard folders.
They want users to be able to access their My Folders directory, but not have access to their My Dashboard link or My Dashboard folders. This is not possible with out of box functionality.
The following enhancement request has been created to benefit the users.
BUG 7665499 – TAKE AWAY FROM ALL OUR USERS ‘MY DASHBOARD’
The only way to deny access to ‘My Dashboard’ is via the “Personal Storage (My Folders and My Dashboard)” Catalog privilege. Denying this privilege to a group or user will take away access to both ‘My Dashboard’ and ‘My Folders’ – currently, you can’t separate the two. Therefore I have logged the following Enhancement Request.
BUG 7665499 – TAKE AWAY FROM ALL OUR USERS ‘MY DASHBOARD’
Alternatively, here is a suggestion of using current functionality would be:
1. Create a web catalog group and dashboard via “Manage Presentation Catalog Groups and Users” to be used as the default user dashboard.
2. Grant the ‘Everyone’ web group the appropriate privilege to this catalog group via “Manage Presentation Catalog” – e.g. ‘Read’.
3. In the admin tool, create a session init block to set the ‘PORTALPATH’ session variable to the webcatalog path of the default dashboard page.
3.a. You can find the path by looking at the properties of the folder under ‘_portal’ in the catalog group folder the default dashboard was created in – e.g. “/shared/user_default/_portal/Home”.
3.b. The init string could either select the literal path (e.g. select ‘/shared/user_default/_portal/Home’ from dual) so all users would be routed to the same dashboard. Alternatively, the path could be stored externally, e.g. in a table, and selected from it per userid. That way, it would be manageable outside of the admin tool.
This would force all users to the default dashboard specified in the path used to populate PORTALPATH for all users.
One issue that may occur is with existing users that have set their ‘Default Dashboard’ to anything but ‘Default’ in the ‘My Account’ link – they may be required to set it to ‘Default’, then log-off/log-on for the default dashboard setting to take affect.
I know of no way to get around this potential issue for this scenario short of each user making the change OR deleting users from the webcat such that a subsequent logon will ‘re-initialize’ their account (which will then use the init block set PORTALPATH value). Both of these options seem severe, and the second may prove problematic as long as the ‘My Account’ link is still active.